Here are the seven books on black lives matter we gathered from our research:
- The Hate U Give is a 2017 young adult novel by Angie Thomas. It is Thomas’s debut novel, expanded from a short STORY she wrote in college in reaction to the police shooting of Oscar Grant
2. And we won’t leave out Angelou’s ‘ I know why the caged bird sings’ It’s a memoir that exploring her upbringing as a Black woman in America’s deep south in the 1930s. It’s a personal and moving insight into recent historical racism, which also illuminates hope for the future.
3. The Bluest Eye, Morrison explains her goal in WRITING the novel. She wants to make a statement about the damage that internalized racism can do to the most vulnerable member of a community—a young girl. At the same time, she does not want to dehumanize the people who wound this girl, because that would simply repeat their mistake
4. In this book Alexander explains how different legal factors have combined to mean that African-Americans are more likely to be targeted by police, and to receive long jail sentences.
5. Oluo’s BOOK can be use as a toolkit for white people who want to support the Black Lives Matter movement, but need to do some learning first.
6. Newlyweds Celestial and Roy seem to be living the American dream – until Roy is arrested for a sexual assault that Celestial knows he didn’t commit.
7. In her Booker Prize-winning novel, Evaristo explores the inter-connecting stories of 12 CHARACTERS, most of whom are Black British women. The book explores their challenges, their triumphs, their relationships and the racism they face throughout their lives